It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 06:31

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Francois Desgrez
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2014, 13:23 

Desgrez, Francois.
Lieutenant of the Paris police. He had acted as
defence attorney for Joffrey de Peyrac, and had been much in
love with Angelique during her days of poverty.

Brilliant Jean Rochefort as Desgrez.

Policeman François Desgrez, (in the book former lawyer of Joffrey Comte de Peyrac and a true friend of Angelique). He is a symbol of the modernization of the French police. He became known as a right hand of police prefect La Reynie, who later discover the famous Affair of the poisons.

1677 led La Reynie rigorous investigations in so-called “Affair of the poisons”. De La Reynie re-established the special court, the “Chambre Ardente” (burning court) to judge cases of poisoning and witchcraft. It investigated a number of cases, including many connected to nobles and courtiers in the king's court. Over the years, the court sentenced 34 people to death for poisoning or witchcraft. Two died under torture and several courtiers were exiled. The court was abolished in 1682, because the king could not risk publicity of such scandal. To this, Police Chief Reynie said, "the enormity of their crimes proved their safeguard."

Mrs. Anne Golon describes in her books the historical background to the poison affair.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Francois Desgrez
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2014, 13:25 

Desgrez, you have never caught me out of my depht.“
„That’s what I resent. You never get involved in the farcial situations self-respecting women do. With you there’s always drama afoot, but never drama on a grand scale. In your case no one has to do anything but pray he won’t arrive too late.
„So, you see, here I am – and in time too.“ ♥ ♥ ♥

Quote from the book: Angelique and the Sultan, Part One: Departure, Chapter 2

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2014, 13:49 

MADAME DE BRINVILLIERS and Desgrez

Angelique in Revolt page 334:

Desgrez said to Angelique:

I’ve just recently arrested one of your neighbors, the Marquise de Brinvilliers. I don’t know whether you remember her. She used to live just a few streets from your place at Beautreillis.
--------------------------------------------------------

From the book "The Affair of the Poisons" by Anne Sommerset we do know
exact day when Desgrez arrested Marquise de Brinvilliers:

1676, 25 of March

Attachment:
afair poison.jpg
afair poison.jpg [ 19.71 KiB | Viewed 9305 times ]

So, this is the reason why we do know for our timeline that Rescator and Angelique were leaving La Rochelle for to sailing to the new world in Spring 1676. :!:

La Rochelle 1676 End of April :
Angelique meets masked pirate Rescator in La Rochelle; they are sailing away together from France ;)

Our timeline in English:

http://angelique.international/historic ... n-king.php
--------------------------------------
MADAME DE BRINVILLIERS: THE MARQUISE ARRESTED BY DESGREZ

The story of the arrest of Madame de Brinvilliers belongs to romance. Desgrez was now about thirty-six to thirty eight years of age, very good looking, elegant in all his ways, and extremely well-spoken. He was one of the first of the cosmopolitan detectives who to-day occupy so important are in fact as well as in fiction.
Many historians deny its details but there is no inherent impossibility in the tale. Desgrez arrived at Liege (Belgium) in the habit of a French abbe, " young, amiable and gallant," ostensibly a wanderer curious to see everything that crossed his path. Interested in the history of Madame de Brinvilliers, he obtained an introduction to her in the convent, and rapidly paid his court. She was wearied by her peaceful existence, and smiled upon the handsome abb6. He exercised his blandishments so effectually that she consented to accompany him for a promenade along the banks of the river Ourthe. When they were at sufficient distance from the town, they met a coach. At a sign from Desgrez, some hidden police officers sprang out and seized the Marquise. Shutting her up in the coach, they were quickly able to convey her to the prison at Liege. The affair was thus carried through promptly and without excitement.
Monsieur Ravaisson says that there is no document giving any idea that the arrest was made other than by the ordinary forms of justice. But only after Madame de Brinvilliers had been seized, was the usual procedure followed. The embroideries of Alexandre Dumas may safely be disregarded. Desgrez arrived in Liege on the 22nd, and the criminal was secured on the 25th, which did not leave much time for lengthy love scenes. Desgrez probably was in disguise, for when the Marquise was in London, she received early notice of the steps to be taken, and so successfully eluded the police. And again Desgrez found it much easier to carry out the actual arrest in the open country than in the crowded and disturbed streets of Liege.

Source: Stokes, Hugh. Madame de Brinvilliers and Her Times, 1630-1676.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2015, 14:56 

A missing chapter in English book is where Desgrez visits Angelique in her Chocolaterie.

This is a little part of the conversation between them.

Am I unworthy of that miraculous, strong spirit which was Count de Peyrac? How much strength I had to spend on it, to tore my sons out of misery, would he not perhaps recognize in this fight part of himself ... if he comes back ...? "

"Oh, don’t worry, my dear!" Said Desgrez in his languid tone.
If he would came back ... well, if he would return, as far as I know this man, at first he would prescribe you a nice spanking. Then he would take you in his arms and love you, until you beg for mercy. Then, you would try to find together a quiet spot where the both of you could wait for your golden wedding.

Angelique, Blanvalet 1956 (German Edition)

Why Desgrez thought Joffrey de Peyrac would first give Angelique the little spanking? :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2016, 11:43 
Chevalier
Chevalier

In The Road to Versailles (Original, French edition), Desgrez tells, during the chase for the Gutter-Poet: "Only nominally am I in the State service, but unofficially I'm private investigator for the King, charged to track down pamphleteers". This was autumn 1664.

Just after the said events, he asks Angélique for the whereabouts of Glazer the poison-maker (and beats her furiously when she plays dumb), revealing afterwards he knew she had been the Marquise of Angels, renowned thief.

In Anne Golon's story, he was supposed to have investigated by himself the poison makers, under no apparent charge from the Royal government and with no funding. 12-13 years before their deeds became apparent to the world at large.

Now the guy is suspiciously devoted to law and public welfare, if he can do such effort for 12 years without a break!

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 20:19 

Kathy Bates wrote:
Just after the said events, he asks Angélique for the whereabouts of Glazer the poison-maker (and beats her furiously when she plays dumb), revealing afterwards he knew she had been the Marquise of Angels, renowned thief.

Well, in this case, the main thing for Desgrez was to stop Angelique from self-harm or suicide. He did not need the informations from her. :disagreement:

Kathy Bates wrote:
In Anne Golon's story, he was supposed to have investigated by himself the poison makers, under no apparent charge from the Royal government and with no funding. 12-13 years before their deeds became apparent to the world at large.

Well, why not? :potapec: As we see from the history:

Sainte_Croix was arrested in the year 1663. :agree: :agree:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godin_de_Sainte-Croix

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exili

Madame de Montespan, the mistress of King Louis XIV was accused by Voisin’s daughter and her accomplices of being a customer of La Voisin from 1667 .....

The Marquise Brinvilliers was in the reality ARRESTED BY DESGREZ exactly 25 of March 1676

The first macabre details of the Affair of the Poisons came to light in the fall of 1678, when Nicolas de la Reynie, the first lieutenant general of the Paris police, uncovered evidence that suggested the existence of a plot to poison the king.

During his three-year investigation, La Reynie encountered a loosely knit community of magicians, sorceresses, and renegade priests who formed the nucleus of the criminal magical underworld of Paris.

I think, it is more than possible that Desgrez did work for Reyne whole the years, while they would waiting for the right moment to start the Affair of the Poisons.

I think, Anne Golon did brilliant recherché :applaus: :ok: - even if sometimes she did move the date a bit forward
or backward .....

Did you know the affair with the little boy selling waffles and the kings brother did really happen? . :shock: :o

I did lot of recherché, and did put it in the Forum in Czech language. I am happy to be abel to discus about it as well here on the english forum. :)

I wish my French (and English as well) would be much better.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 20:49 

"Oh, don’t worry, my dear!" Said Desgrez in his languid tone.
If he would came back ... well, if he would return, as far as I know this man,
at first he would prescribe you a nice spanking.
Then he would take you in his arms and love you, until you beg for mercy.
Then, you would try to find together a quiet spot,
where the both of you could wait for your golden wedding.

Angelique, Blanvalet 1956 (German Edition)