It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 10:00

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2015, 21:59 

Anne Golon - Angélique - The Bartered Bride / The Marriage in Toulouse (in the first edition of Intégrale)
Original: Angélique: La Fiancée Vendue, Archipoche 2010

On the road to her new home in Toulouse, into the city and cultural center of the south France, Angélique goes through the provinces of France and meets with their personalities such is the Duc de Lauzun. Her initial meeting with an unknown husband is in a sign of the fear and uncertainty, and Angélique does not believe that she could ever love this man with the scars. Therefore she very soon creates own rhythm and harmony of private days that are pleasantly passing in the seat of a wealthy gentleman who is seemingly oblivious to her. Perhaps out of boredom, Angélique starts to notice that her mystery man is also a scientist, philosopher, singer, successful businessman, organizer of the festivities, esthete and lover not only of feminine beauty. During the conversations on the diverse themes and the endless festivities, they both become close and Angélique becomes a wife in love and mother of a dreamed-of son Florimond. Angélique's family is enjoying of the tranquility at a rural lodge in the mountains, while the whole of France resolves news from the life of the Royal family – because, the King should get married soon.

A little foretaste from the book: :houpacka:

From this palace was shining, by day and night, so much beauty and charm, so many varied shades of moods, enchanting and seductive, sometimes as well a little disturbing, that she had the impression of being a spectator that follows the never-ending theatre performances organized just for her enjoyment and pleasure. Yet she felt free and always found new opportunities for her amusement or edification.
Angélique wavered between fear and confidence. She was quite certain that he would not betray his word, but at times, she could not suppress it and felt a shiver of fear along her spine.
She was a prisoner of the master of the palace.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Anne Golon - Angélique - The Bartered Bride by Anne Golon (Translation from German version: Hochzeit wider Willen, Blanvalet 2011, Original: Angélique: La Fiancée Vendue, Archipoche 2004)

For the whole novel series you can have look here: Angélique L'Intégrale: The brief annotations of the new edition

http://angelique.international/angeliqu ... dition.php

For the worldwide Covers of the series you can have look here:

http://angelique.international/angeliqu ... dition.php

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2015, 14:52 

Did you realize that Angélique & Joffrey did spend their first night of love under the hot night starry skies of Toulouse?

-----------------------------------
Only later when her experience had grown, was she able to judge how very much Joffrey de Peyrac had restrained the violence of his own desire in order to completely assure his conquest. Almost without her being aware of it he undressed her and laid her on the couch(…)her green eyes opened wide and reflected the stars of the spring sky.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2016, 12:54 

Nevertheless, young marquise de Peyrac still felt a sort of uneasiness, a slight suspicion that the earl put into an alliance with the devil, or perhaps the idea of unsuspected crimes, whose cruelty forever remain in the places where they were executed. The time has come when he has to get rid of these ideas. Here's her home. Angélique wanted to know everything. She started to climb the stairs.
She climbed the beautiful, harmonious marble steps that have been flooded with silver light. The moonlight came in from anywhere: through the windows, loggias and galleries with their rows of small arches. Three floors, four. The door of the mysterious chamber with golden key was wide open. Exactly as she has expected. Magical blue light seemed to penetrate from inside of the room.
Angélique stepped over the doorstep. (...)
Just a single person was in this room: the master of this unusual place. This had already happened to her a few times: She did not recognize Joffrey de Peyrac at first sight and thought for a moment, there is someone else in the front of her.
He was standing behind of a large telescope, and she saw only his profile. This side of his face, to which the scars did not reach, looked in the moonlight like carved into stone. The retracted hair made him seem more youthful.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 12:33 

Joffrey was suddenly at her side and grabbed her wrist for the first time to hold her back.....
She could not escape him.
La Fiancée Vendue (The Bartered Fiancée) 2009

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 19:00 

Angélique, Marquise of the Angels - PART TWO Marriage in Toulouse

At 17, Angelique, on returning from her education in a convent, she finds herself betrothed to the rich count, Joffrey de Peyrac de Morens d'Irristru, Lord of Toulouse and Aquitaine, 12 years her senior - lame, scarred and reputed to be a wizard.

For the sake of her family, Angélique reluctantly agrees to the match but refuses the advances of her husband. Peyrac respects her decision and does not pursue his claim to conjugal rights, wishing to seduce her rather than use force.

With the passing of months, Angelique discovers the talents and virtues of her remarkable husband - scientist, musician, philosopher - and to her surprise falls passionately in love with him.

Illustration: Island - Magazine Vikan

Oh, you can be sure I my say like Bernard de Ventadour, the divine poet:
„The torments of love which the beauty whose slave I am causes me will surely make me die. I am dying, madame. “ Said the Comte.
Angelique shook her head laughing.
“I do not believe you. You don’t look as if you`re dying….. You shut yourself in laboratory, or else you hasten to the homes of the precious ladies of Toulouse in order to guide their poetic compositions. “
“Can it be that you miss me, Madame?”
She hesitated, a smile on her lips, anxious to maintain the tone of light banter.
“I miss distractions, and you are distraction and variety personified.”

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 09:09 

Angelique is getting Ready for the wedding ceremony in the Saint-Sernin cathedral after her arrival in Toulouse.

Saint-Sernin cathedral in Toulouse:

The Saint-Sernin Basilica is a symbol of Toulouse.
Here Joffrey and Angelique have been married by the assistance of Monseigneur de Fontenac, Archbishop of Toulouse.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 09:23 

The ball was about to begin. Angelique uttered a sight. „I shall dance all night“ She said to herself. „Nothing on earth will make me consent to remain alone with him for even a moment….“
:houpacka:

The Bartered Bride danced in spite of everything..... As well as in the book as in the movie.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 09:55 

Marquis d'Andijos beamed. Monsieur de Peyrac had asked him to continue accompanying Angelique
and introducing her to this new world, which was now as well hers, which he did immediately.
He leaded her to a high-backed chair on which she was going to sit alone
at one of the headboards of the long table. (Marriage Toulousain)

another name for the book The Bartered Fiancée (book 2) is
Angélique - Mariage Toulousain

Marriage in Toulouse